Few people have heard of Mt. Glover. It can be found just south of Launceston in Tasmania’s north. It is so large that it can only be seen annually in early March, when it reveals its wonders to over 5,000 faithful pilgrims.

Each year around 300 artists attempt the climb, but success only comes to 40 or so. Deciding who is the best climber is greeted with mixed reactions from an adoring public.

This event continues to gain in popularity as each year passes and is now recognised internationally.

Preparation for the climb can take up to a year for some artists. This often involves a great deal of research and experimentation. Decisions have to be made and a course set. Maintaining focus throughout the journey is paramount. Disaster can occur at any time.

Upon reaching the final base camp each climber must wait until they receive written permission to make the final climb to the summit. The wait for news is an arduous one. There is much tension in the air. Euphoria and bitterness jostle each other.

The letter finally arrives and is eventually opened…

Once again I have commenced that journey.

Today’s image is a photo of one of two drawings I entered for last year’s Glover Prize. Salamanca Landscape was a very demanding work that tested my endurance. Alas, the judges weren’t that impressed.

Monday: I have commenced a ‘tropical’ abstract.


About artkleko

artist, art curator, art teacher, art judge, art critic
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to MOUNT GLOVER

  1. Edna Broad says:

    Richard, The judges’ selection of Glover finalist paintings are sometimes a bit puzzling but I’ve formed my own ideas of what they look for as you probably have. I suppose in a way its like judging a small local exhibition of paintings. If 75 percent of the work is relatively similar you have to choose the outstanding ones. Amongst the remaining 25 percent are usually the most creative or the most amateurish. Its unfortunate that the Glover finalists (as are most prize exhibitions) are chosen from digital images or photographs because there is so often a disparity between that image and the real. You don’t get the sense of ‘presence’ in a digital image or photo. Of course the higher the prize money the greater the competition and the CHALLENGE.

    • artkleko says:

      Everything you have said Edna is so true. It certainly is about the challenge and being properly prepared. At the end of the day we are all at the mercy of the judges!

  2. Hi Richard, this discussion on the Glover is very interesting. I will be following future postings related to Mount Glover and comments from others with interest and enthusiasm. I must admit that the disparity between digital images of art and the “live” item is something that I find difficult.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.